A health IT expert spends 30 minutes with you on the phone to understand the clinical workflow and requirements
MIPS in healthcare doesn’t leave you with many alternatives except for Alternative Advanced Payment Models (APMs). Therefore, clinicians, once they are eligible, have to go through MIPS reporting whether they like it or not. Hardship exceptions and practices in rural areas are allowed certain flexibility accordingly.
Medicare ACCESS and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) as seen in the image below represents the powerful functioning of MIPS under the Quality Payment Program (QPP). After the successful run of QPP 2018 and QPP 2019, we have QPP 2020 to look ahead, and so far, we have persevered enough to start it on a high note.
MIPS Performance Categories
MIPS 2019 Specifications
• Quality and Cost performance categories are to be reported over a 12-month period
• Improvement Activities (IA) and Promoting Interoperability (PI) performance categories for continuous 90 days
• Deadline for submitting MIPS 2019 reporting is March 31, 2020
• CMS provides performance feedback to 2019 participating clinicians in 2020
• MIPS payment adjustments (positive, negative or neutral) are applied to each claim: starts January 1, 2021
Final Score Calculation Chart According to Category Weights – An Example